Thuringia, 2000 churches
New perspectives through transformation: Creative ideas and new uses for sacred buildings
Six model projects have been carried forward from the call for ideas: a socio-cultural centre at St Martin’s Church in Apolda, a Her(R)bergskirche in the Church of St Michael in Neustadt am Rennsteig that serves as a wayside shelter for hikers bookable via AirBnB, the “Vivendium” Church of St Severi in Blankenhain that unites body and spirit with the daylight-infused church. Currently in the qualifying stage are a project for a garden for bees at St Peter and Paul’s Church in Roldisleben, a meditative playground in the Church of St Nicholas in Niedergebra and a digital and social network Church of St Johannis in Ellrich.
The Chapel of St Anna in Krobitz is the first completed “Think lateral!” project. The renowned international artist Carsten Nicolai developed a sculptural work for the IBA project. Entitled “organ”, the musical instrument is inspired by early designs of so-called pyrophones from the eighteenth century. Photo: Henry Sowinski.
The Her(R)bergskirche in Neustadt St. Michaelis am Rennsteig, an IBA project since March 2019, is a model project for other possible wayside shelters along the Rennsteig Trail through the wooded uplands of the Thuringian Forest.
The Church of St Severi in Blankenhain is to become a daylight-infused “Vivendium” for health and well-being. In addition to the church parish, the town of Blankenhain, the diocese and the EKM, the project participants also include the investor Matthias Grafe, Jena Wohnen and the Helios Klinik.
The nave of the Church of St Martin in Apolda is to be converted into a socio-cultural centre and local meeting place. The project participants include the EKM, the diocese, the town of Apolda and the parish.
The Church of St. Peter and Paul in Roldisleben is to become a sanctuary and protected natural habitat for bees. In 2019 the project received funding from the Thuringian Ministry for Infrastructure and Agriculture and will also include a garden for the senses with herbs from biblical times.
The goal of St Johannis Church in Ellrich is to become a fully digital and social networked church by 2030. The church itself has already become a workshop space. The project is an initiative by the church parish, the municipality of Ellrich, the EKM, the architecture office ONOFF Berlin and the artist Jürg Montalta. Photo: Elke Bergt.
With the help of ropes and cords as well as local participation, the Church of St Nicholas in Niedergebra was temporarily transformed into a communal climbing centre. The project was initiated by the church parish, the municipality of Niedergebra and the EKM.
Momentan keine Termine
- Veronique Faucheur, Oberkirchenrat Christian Fuhrmann, Florian Heilmeyer, Prof. Barbara Holzer, Jürg Montalta, Anne Schönharting, Dr. Barabra Steiner und Tom Unverzagt
- Dr. Dankward Guratzsch, Prof. Dr. Andreas Hoffmann, Dr. Stefan Krämer, Holger Reinhardt, Dr. Mathias Rein, Elke Bergt, Marcus Schmidt, Dr. Sonja Beeck, Jürgen Willinghöfer, Dr. Marta Doehler-Behzadi, Ulrike Rothe, Lisa-Marie Hottenrott und Oliver Weiland
- Artikel Raumplanung 4/2018
- Publikation ›500 Kirchen 500 Ideen‹, Jovis Verlag
- Publikation ›Die Reformationsdekade »Luther 2017« in Thüringen‹, Wartburg Verlag
- Dokumentation ›Reformation'en: KIRCHEN • WEITER • BAUEN' 2017‹
- Website Kirchbautag 2019
- Website Her(r)bergskirchen
- Fotodoku Gastgeberklub Ellrich